Saturday, July 28, 2007

Can I be Excellent? Part two

I am going to go directly into answering these questions from my last post

1. Do I think that this is true?

After thinking about this for a while, I do think it is true and it seemed to confirm a lot about what I already have learned. This gave me hope, because if I use this knowledge effectively and choose the right field I could actually achieve excellence. This idea that I could achieve excellence in anything during my life has usually been only in my fantasies and far off dreams. Only in one stretch in my life, the last years of college and the next two following, did I ever have confidence that I could be anything other than mediocre and undisciplined. But ever during that time I never felt I had a plan to get there. I just thought that I now had the ability to be disciplined and the confidence to take risks. But this concept could give me a plan to lead somewhere.

2. What field would I want to be great in?

What I am really interested in is people and change. I am interested in the church because I think that is the primary tool God has given us to interact with people. I am interested in leadership because I think everything rises and falls based off of the leadership of that thing. I am interested in counseling only because it helps people change. I am interested in racial reconciliation because it brings positive change.

But all of these things could be replaced as focuses in my life other than people and change. So primarily I want to focus on the things that will make me be excellent in the fields of people and bringing change.

3. What are the components that make up these fields?

This is everything I could come up with (with a special focus on counseling skills)

1. Listening

2. Body Language

3. Networking (tipping point connectors)

4. Knowledge of people

5. celebrating

6. Learn to ask good questions

7. Learn to be a true friend

8. permission

9. Presence-seeing someone as a person, not an object

10. Let go of control

11. co-creating

12. Confrontation

13. Know when to take risks

14. intuition

15. bringing the here and now

16. acceptance

4. Am I willing to pay the price for excellence?

I don’t know yet. This is a step in that direction, I hope.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love this. Our chinese take-out all nighter will help us develop our plans for all of us....

Anonymous said...

are you willing to pay the price? Is this the inspiration of your hand writing analysis?

Derrick Fudge said...

I am willing to pay the price. at least I hope I am. and I want to be around others that will want the same