Thursday, July 24, 2008

Can I get too good at psychology?


In the book, "Wisdom of Crowds" the author talks about the huge disadvantage of being surrounded by similar people who think just like you. It is much more effective to have many different types of people, coming from many different perspectives. This is especially poignant for me if I end up being a therapist because they usually pack together like timber wolves and high school cheerleaders. The book even makes the point that Psychologists are worse predictors of human behavior than the average person. I believe this is from all of us reading the same people, thinking in the same or similar themes, and eventually create self-fulfilling prophesies of how we see the world. I don't know how to deal with this, but I know it is a problem

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm maybe that's the reasoning behind the saying that therapists are usually the people most in need of therapy?