Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Salt of the Earth

I have heard most of my life that we are to be the salt of the earth. It says we should do this in the bible. I know because I read it there. I just don’t remember where. Somewhere in the back.

Being the salt of the earth has something to do with standing out from others, and bringing flavor to the world. But I always thought that how we become salt in this word is to not do things. The best way to stand out, I thought to myself, is to not drink, not cuss, not sin, not gossip, not kill people, not have affairs, and not say God’s name in vain.

But I did all these things, and I didn’t really stand out. And most Christians try to do these things, at least for a while, until they get tired and do whatever their justification allows them to do. And then the non-Christian world looks at Christians and says that we are hypocrites. Which we are.

But what if saltiness has nothing to do with what we don’t do. What if we are to stand out for what we do? I am sure all my readers are agreeing at this point. But so would James Dobson and Pat Robertson and many other people you don’t agree with. They would say we should stand out by fighting for Christianity. I would disagree with them, and I hope you would, as well.

We don’t have to fight for Christianity, it is in good enough hands already. We don’t have to fight for anything.

But what should we stand out for? I think it is reconciliation. There is nothing weirder to a non-believing world than what happens when people reconcile. When people stand for justice, grieve the loss of relationship, ask for forgiveness and make steps toward a renewed relationship that is mutually beneficial. When we say to those who harm us “You hurt me, and I am sad and hurt. I am hurt because I am wounded and I feel less. I am sad because I have lost relationship with you. I want to forgive you because I miss you, I want reconciliation because I want you.” This is our cry for relationships, and this is very foreign to a world that labels people quickly, writes them off, looks at them only for how they are productive and generally discards people at the first hint of betrayal. What could stand out more to a world needing hope than a Christian community combined with perpetrators and victims, always looking for reconciliation, always pushing for restored relationships? This is salt, this is light, and this is exciting. Why aren’t you fighting for broken relationships in your own life? Where is your heart for reconciliation, for the relationship after the rupture, the chance to extend grace, to humbly risk yourself to another?

8 comments:

Smruti said...

i wish they were more white men whose heart was for reconciliation--it serves is a glimmer of Christ for me, thank you!

stacy pietsch said...

thankyou, jeremy

Wax Artistic said...

I always thought of being salt as engaging life. Sort of spicing up the world. I certainly think reconciliation is a big part of that. But I’d also like to add the promotion of beauty, unity, compassion, empathy, calculated risk, stewardship, generosity, inspiration, initiative, genuineness, awareness, self-development, self-esteem and love. That’s about all I can think of at the moment.

Derrick Fudge said...

Thank you so much smruti. You made my entire week, and I just feel so greatful

Chase said...

I like cooking. I don't know much, but I remember being shocked to learn that salt was actually put in sweet things, things that don't taste salty, like cookies. I forget why they do that, but is it because salt helps to bring out the flavors of other things? If so, that could be an interesting idea.

Derrick Fudge said...

go further, chase. don't make us guess what your idea does. give us a hint

Chase said...

As salt, we need to strive to bring out the flavor, or qualities, of other people (like help them be more themselves than they already are, or help bring out their glory).

Derrick Fudge said...

to Chase

Huh? I don't know how your post has to do with reconcilation. Are you disagreeing? or are you making a new claim? I can't tell.