Sunday, November 25, 2007

To Wonder

I am learning how to wonder. Not just about other things, but about me. This might not sound like a huge deal to you, but it is for me. I didn’t know that I could wonder about things. I didn’t think I had the time or the permission. I thought I better get things figured out pretty quickly, or I will get behind and never catch up. And others will leave me behind. Sounds exhausting just writing about it. I don’t know how I did it. I know I didn’t do it very well, that is for sure.

But I am finding out that I can wonder and that is good. I don’t have to find a solution to every problem in my life. All I have to do is not flee from my problems. So if I don’t flee and don’t find solutions, what is left? Everything. And that is what wonder is all about. It is about possibility and openness. It is realizing that I do get anxious with people, and I don’t have to fix it. I just get to think about it. “It is interesting that I am feeling anxious” I say to myself, “I wonder why”.

Lately it has come to my attention that much of my motivation comes from the desire to make others approve of me. I have been afraid of this realization for years. I have fought it, denied it, tried to make it not be true, and worked really hard to change my motivation. None of this worked, and finally I just sat down, exhausted, and admitted to myself it is true. And then I stayed there. I didn’t come with an action plan. I didn’t over think it. I didn’t even try to find the reason I do it, the point in my story of my life where it all came from.

I have done this in the past. I called it “checking out”. I would do everything I could to not think about what I knew was so painful to think about. But this time was different. I stayed there. I thought about it, but didn't try to fix it, or beat myself up, or come up with a plan. I thought about it, and then I thought about something else. The next time it came up, I wasn’t as anxious. So I thought about it then, and then thought about something else. Not purposely changing the subject in my mind, but thinking it through and letting my mind go where it needed to. A few days later, it came up again, and I wasn’t afraid of the truth of it at all.

But I haven’t just accepted it as me. I am not meant to be someone who needs other’s approval. God made me more glorious than that. I have approval from God and can find my worth in my own voice, my own identification with my placement in God. Knowing this keeps me from settling. Wondering about myself is never settling. Because settling is really no different than checking out. Instead of not thinking about the fact that I have a problem, I can just pretend that my problem is really no problem at all. Wonder takes it a step further. It says that I am going to change, but the process won’t happen through external effort. It will happen through the outpouring of internal change.

Now I can already see how I need less approval in my life. I have started to see the change in conversations, saying what I mean not to impress or get any reaction out of someone, but because it is more true of me. Being able to compliment people, give feedback and not worry that I will look dumb or that I am trying to hard. And the amazing thing is that I haven’t worked at all at needing less approval. I have just wondered about it.

4 comments:

hollagrigga said...

will you teach a seminar on this? i love this. i needed this.

Chase said...

is there permission in practicum to wonder? i feel pressure to figure it all out and change and be able to always be present and give good feedback, or else be left behind. isn't that what the one-on-ones are for? i could be wrong, but my pf seems to try and help me figure it all out. as counselors, how would we allow clients to just wonder (as well as wonder along with them)?

Chase said...

so I have to totally eat my words about one-on-ones. My PF just invited me to wonder.

Derrick Fudge said...

To Holly and Chase

I am still struggling through this, and you are both beyond where I was in my first year of mars. I think it is absolutely important for the therapist to invite wonder in the client. Sounds absolutely daunting right now, and I don't know how I am going to learn how to do it. but that is okay, I will just wonder about it